Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Day They Stripped Me of My Wisdom... Teeth

The fact that I am sitting here writing this post in basically one piece is a miracle in and of itself. Surviving this invasive and mentally scaring event in my life is one thing I never thought I would have to do. Growing up, for those who don't know me, and even if you don't know me well you probably do know this small fact about me- I hate the dentist. I hate it there. I hate everything about it. And I will later on in this post get into why I think that is. Yes, yes, I now work at a dentist and in the dental field, but I call that facing my fears. Or something like that.

For those of you who have had any of your teeth pulled ever in your life, you will know the pain and "pressure" of having those poor little guys yanked from their cozy home in your gums. But I will try my best to create a mental picture for you lucky souls who have no idea what we have been through.

It all started in dental hygiene school, where we were leaning how to take panoramic x-rays. I had never had one of those before. So when the instructors asked for a volunteer to show the class this specific x-ray I volunteered. First mistake. The findings of this x-ray were going to change my life as I knew it. Forever. Following this x-ray I was called into Dr. Bennett's office. I liked Dr. B's office. It was little and packed with random things, and the funniest posters and wall art featuring dental humor which only a dental professional would appreciate. Sitting in this cozy little office Dr. B hit me with the news- I had wisdom teeth. 4 wisdom teeth. Ok, I thought, ok that is alright. According to the x-ray they looked normal and healthy, and they looked as if they we all going to just grow in straight and give me no problems! And then I saw it. On the bottom left of the x-ray, meaning my bottom right wisdom tooth, was sitting there all smug, completely sideways. Sideways! How dare you betray me like this body! I thought we were closer than that.