Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 2: What Stresses Me Out

What stresses me out... hahaha yaaa. Ok, the question that would lead to a shorter post should be "what DOESN'T stress me out!" As stated in my 15 interesting facts blog, I suffer from anxiety. As diagnosed by myself, and that's pretty legit.  I think I have always kinda be a "nervous" or stressed person to an extent, but ever since I've moved away from home to a new city and new country, started an accelerated dental hygiene program, got a calling at church, won the Mrs. TSTC pageant, and had to learn to live on my own... I feel like my stress level is slightly more elevated. Recently, I had to write a paper on a "special needs" patient that we would see in clinic, and I chose anxiety disorders. There is some crazy stuff that I learned that I can apply to myself that can help me cope or deal with being a basket case!! It is legitimately a disease, and it is so common that many many people have it, but are not even aware. Anyways, so ya. I have that. I think. So, lets discuss some things that stress me out! :)

As can be expected, school in general stresses me out. We have a lot of classes and tests and projects, assignment, etc, etc, and that's fine. But it is the clinic portion of school that stresses me most. We are responsible for completing a certain number of patients each semester, which is stressful enough, but it's the fact that we have to FIND OUR OWN patients that kills me. First of all, we don't know anyone down here other than fellow dental hygiene students, and second of all, not all people are running each other over to try and get to sit in our chair for 3 hours and have their teeth scraped at by amateurs. It is a huge service we are doing for these people, but they have no idea. Anyway, so ya. THAT stresses me out. NOT only do we need to have a certain amount of patients, but we are required to find pt's that fit certain requirements in order to pass, as well as completing numerous amounts of competencies. This is something I've signed up for, so I am not complaining, but just saying. It is a wee bit stressful.

Other than school, I'm pretty much good. Although I am an anxious person, for some reason public speaking doesn't do much to stress me out.  Be Mrs. TSTC comes with a lot of public speaking and doing stuff in front of a lot of people with no preparation or written out stuff. It's weird because you would only assume that stuff like this would stress out a stress case... odd. I also get stressed out for other people. When someone I know has to speak in front of people, or sing, or do something that's stressing THEM out, I get all nervous and panicked. It's ANNOYING!! Seriously. Lame sauce!

People say being stressed is "all in your head," which it is, but it has such a great affect on our physical selves that it is really important that we try and limit stress in our lives. Most every single disease is caused, or made worse by stress, so basically by being stressed out all the time is dooming me for later!!
There are some things that I try to do to help deal with this lame-o disorder :) Eating a healthy diet is really important. Which is hard when I get stressed the last thing I think about is eating anything. I usually won't eat much of anything when I'm all wound up, and then later realize that I'm weak and tired and should eat something!! It's a working progress. Exercise is really good for relieving stress, so running, pilates, etc is really helpful.Not that I'm always gung-ho to do it. Running's boring.
Oh! Another thing. Something that doctors say is to avoid caffiene, including coffee (easy, I'm not a coffee drinker), sodas (also easy, not a big pop person), and chocolate.... Oh NO they did NOT! That is the hardest thing for me by far because chocolate and me go together like PB & J, Christmas and snow, babies and chubby-ness!! Soooooooo yes.. I still try. Actually, no, no, that's a lie. I don't try :)
If I am going to be stressed out about things in life, then I WILL continue to eat my chocolate and feel great about it!

Keep it real y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment